This week sees Parliament continuing with its series of budget-related mini plenaries ahead of the final vote on the budget set to take place next week. But, there’s some non-budget-related activity that’s of interest too.
In committee, the Portfolio Committee on Communications will be holding a roundtable discussion on the impact of digital media in misinformation and content moderation, which could raise issues relating to freedom of expression and censorship.
On the financial front, the Select Committee on Finance will be briefed on understanding major cryptocurrency issues and a regulatory framework as part of Government’s plan to regulate this sector.
Eskom is also scheduled to provide an update on the progress of the unbundling process of the SOE, as announced by the Minister. With the latest bout of load shedding, this meeting could finally shed some light on the path that Eskom will be taking for the future.
The Portfolio Committee on Transport will be engaging in further deliberations on the Economic Regulation of Transport Bill, as the consideration of this Bill makes its way through the legislative process.
On the legislative front, two new Bills have been introduced, with the Housing Consumer Protection Bill [B10 – 2021] that seeks to replace the current Housing Consumers Protection Measures Act, and the Land Court Bill [B 11 – 2021] seeking to provide for the establishment of a Land Court and a Land Court of Appeal.
Various parliamentary committees are scheduled for this week, many of which are highlighted below. Committee meetings continue to take place primarily on virtual platforms, with most available to view live on Parliament’s YouTube channel.
The week ahead
Tuesday, 25 May 2021
- Standing Committee on Finance, (National Assembly), [Public Hearings on the Fiscal Responsibility Bill [B5 – 2020]], Virtual Meeting Platform, 16:30-19:30
- Portfolio Committee on Communications, (National Assembly), [Briefing on the letter from the President of the Republic, requesting the Assembly to consider the draft notice of his determination of the salaries and allowances of councillors of the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa; Roundtable discussion on the impact of digital media in misinformation and content moderation], Virtual Meeting Platform, 09:00-13:00
- Select Committee on Finance, (National Council of Provinces), [Briefing by NT and PBO “A guide to understanding major cryptocurrency issues and a regulatory framework”], Virtual Meeting Platform, 14:00
Wednesday, 26 May 2021
- Portfolio Committee on Transport, (National Assembly), [Deliberations on the Economic Regulation of Transport Bill [B 1-2020]
- Standing Committee on Finance, (National Assembly), [Response by National Treasury to submissions received for the Financial Sector Laws Amendment Bill [B15 – 2020]], Virtual Meeting Platform, 16:00-19:00
- Portfolio Committee on Mineral Resources and Energy, (National Assembly), [Briefing by the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy on the Gas Amendment Bill (B9 -2021), 09:00-13:00
- Portfolio Committee on Communications, (National Assembly), [Seminar by Wits Link Centre on the Importance of Regional Coordination in ICT Policy and Regulation], Virtual Meeting Platform, 20:00-21:00
- Select Committee on Public Enterprises and Communications, (National Council of Provinces), [Update by ESKOM on the unbundling process (of ESKOM) as announced by the Minister], Virtual Meeting Platform, 10:00-13:00